17 November 2008

The Master of Ceremonies Who Couldn't Shut Up

We had a little dealie at Open Door on Friday evening, where the youth group's worship band was to play a few songs (more specifically, six songs of our choosing). After we rehearsed the songs, we were informed that, in order to keep the event time to an hour--shouldn't be longer than that, or people would lose interest--we were to cut two of our songs.

That kind of thing happens all the time with musical performance, particularly if you're not the main act. Also, I discovered that the emcee was to pass the wireless mic to me after introducing the evening. He came over and said a lot of things, most of which I didn't quite understand because he just seemed to like talking for the sake of talking (which I should have taken for an omen, but didn't).

The thing I remember him saying to me, out of all of that, I only remember because it struck me as odd--he said he heard we were "dynamic" in our music. Not sure what he meant by that, but hey, I bet he didn't know either. Just seemed to be that type of person.

Well, he opened with a good deal of talking, plus a song of his own. Then passed the microphone my way. We did our newly reduced set and it went well enough. Really, it was extremely impressive, considering our drummer was dealing with a good bit of emotional turmoil, his grandfather having died that morning.

We left the stage, so back to the MC, lots of the MC, and mostly the MC. There were other performances throughout, and it would have been right around an hour if the MC hadn't decided to alter the order of things, invite people back up on stage after they were done, insert three more full-length songs of his own (plus a kids' church ditty he randomly remembered from when he was a young'un), and never stop jabbering about how great he thought he was--so very very great...because of Jesus, of course.

All in all, it was nigh on two hours of tedium and the cruel ministrations of Brother What's-His-Face. I don't remember his name, just that he referred to himself as brother so-and-so. A lot. Well, that's my story. Take it or leave it. I hope it wasn't such a tedious read as it was an experience.

Edit:

I was not the only person there to be the-whole-time thinking: we need a cast of British actors to yell "Get on with it." Scott told me at practice this evening that he'd been on precisely the same thought train.

1 comment:

Adam said...

The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do.
- Thomas Jefferson