30 September 2011

On Blogging

Someone (Caleb J. Ross--http://www.calebjross.com/) once (a couple weeks ago) told me that it's important for a writer to have an online presence--to have something worthwhile to say to the community at large, perhaps to fans or could-be fans in specific. In his (fairly successful, I might add) career as a writer so far, he said that he tries to post something of worth at least once every few days. Otherwise, he noted, the reading community might forget about him.

I'm not always the best at remembering to post things to this blog (I still have issues with the term 'blog'; there should be a better term for this), to keep people updated on things, but I've decided to make an effort. Not to say the effort will bring any real or lasting success. But my goal is to post something every few days, to ensure I am in the habit of writing something (even if it's not working toward novelization) more frequently than I have been. So, I suppose you'll have that to look forward to, if you look forward to that type of thing.

I will try to make it worth the time it takes to read. Feel free to give feedback--especially questions. Questions, I've noticed, tend toward forcing conversation. And, another thing I've noticed, sometimes it takes a bit of force for me, personally, to become invested in a conversation. Sometimes I need to be asked something, or I will stop paying attention. Anyone else do that?

4 comments:

Bethany Hagen said...

I'm finding it hard to post regularly too, even though I know having a web presence is important in getting published someday. Why was it so easy to post on Xanga twice a day when I was in high school?

Rachel Ann said...

say something about vampires?

I'll add you to my Google reader if you do.

Juliet said...

Do you wear wigs?
Have you worn wigs?
Will you wear wigs?

Jeremy D. Ford said...

Bethany: I think it may have something to do with having a bit of extra time in the day. For me, all my spare time is sucked into the work/lesson plan/grade vortex. For you, it may be the there-are-babies-here time diminisher. Also, Xanga seemed a little more user-friendly in that "I'm a diary" type of way that you just don't get from the social media that seems to have taken its place.

Rachel: That wasn't a question. Also, I don't like bribes for readership, so I leave you with a convoluted non-answer (that may or may not in some way relate to your purported query)...glitter.

Juliet: No. Yes. And, as E.W. once said, maybe.