04 October 2011

For You and for Vince Gilligan

Dear Vince Gilligan,

Thanks for your recent work developing/producing Breaking Bad. I appreciate it. There was some extensive research that went into that show--either that, or you have some serious explaining to do. Regardless, I have come to appreciate the intensity of the show; there is tension even in the calmest moments. But every once in awhile, a moment of utter clarity occurs (often it is a humorous moment) wherein the viewer receives an unexpectedly well-delivered payoff for dealing with and being invested in the dramatic tension that is the core of the show.

Mysignaturehere


This is not meant to be a plug for the show, although it is something I would recommend, if you like good television; plus, the first three seasons are on Netflix instant. Rather, this is thanks to a producer for a quality product that inspires my own creativity. I have developed a number of plot and character ideas while watching the show. That isn't to say I'm taking his characters and trying to use them as my own--that's not the case at all. But I do see various elements in the characters' interactions that seem to speak to me as a writer, more than as a viewer. It's a nice effect.

For all of you: what is something (maybe something recent) that inspires you to do what you do?

JF

2 comments:

Juliet said...

That show is too intense for me, but I'm glad you like it.

Honestly, actually teaching in the schools has been helping me feel inspired to be a teacher. Teaching inspiring teaching. Woo.

Amanda and Katie said...

hmm, i have realized that the last time i used a blogger account, it was for the compounded, so this and the last post appear to be from katie, too. oh, well, she'll never know.