13 October 2011

No Free Time

I've noticed recently that due to having a teaching job involving three face-to-face classes, another teaching job online with a required 48 hour turnaround time for everything, being in a rock opera about the zombie apocalypse, doing music for Christian Challenge on campus, and trying to still spend time with important people, I don't really have much free time for writing. That should change slightly come November 4 or 5, when the online class is over, but for now it's what I have to deal with.

The point of mentioning all that is not simply to vent about it. I mention it because it's getting in the way of my writing. I have practically no time to dedicate to my own creative endeavors at the moment. In fact, right now I'm supposed to be grading homework for Basic Writing classes, but I can't bring myself to do it just yet.

Because of all of this, I have come up with a strategy. My plan is to build a story out of a single word. It seems a single word may be all I have time for at the moment. But if I have a word, I can create a sentence around that word, and from there (when I have a couple more minutes) a paragraph. I think it may eventually progress into a story, even, given enough motivation. I'm thinking of calling it a word-based story, which could be easily taken out of context, which I am fine with.

Do you have any suggestions on what word/words I should start with?

JF