31 May 2011

And in a Sudden Turn of Events

For those who labored through that last post, I appreciate your efforts. I also have some good news. I have been hired (pending successful orientation/training) for the online teaching job. I start a ten-day online training program on 13 June, which means that I will be at least a bit busy with that through half of the time I will be in Florida. I don't know how intense the training is, but I am looking forward to it, despite its conflicting with that whole vacation thing.

Once I complete training, I will get to start teaching online 8-week classes. It seems like a good plan to me. Especially considering I can do it all from home.

The one thing I am very curious about: I will be an independent contractor working online for an online university that happens to be based in Kansas City, MO--will I be required to pay the local tax? It would make sense either way. But I would prefer to avoid it, since (as an independent contractor) I will be required to pay the full rate for Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Note: I have a job that starts in mid-June (although I am not certain whether the training is paid). But for the moment, I am still a bit frustrated, because it still seems to me that I am unemployed; plus, I don't know how many classes will be available for me to teach anyway. So, I don't know how much I will be making once I start that job. So, it's nice to know that I will have some sort of income in the near future. But still: uncertainty blows. Werner Heisenberg told me so.

1 comment:

Timothy said...

In regards to the tax, almost definitely. I'd ask the school though, they should know. Here's a link to the forms: http://ww4.kcmo.org/finance.nsf/web/forms